Main KCC Website Report
Main KCC Website Report
- Maintenance: Culinary satellite site have been intended to be retired and integrated back into the main website for a while now. Waiting on decisions by stakeholders.
- Maintenance: Actively curating the site page-by-page for ADA Section 508 compliance.
- Future: Department profile system created and many presentations made; intend to make a direct link to this department page for the public but we want to give a chance for all departments to clarify and fix their records first. A couple of mystery departments listed.
- Future: Master Calendar on our main website. Current model puts this deliverable around the end of February 2018 but we will be reviewing project deliverables and timelines with stakeholders.
- Bugs: Some styling bugs noticed this past Summer; discovered it involved conflicts between recent versions of plug-ins that we’re using on the site. Remedied the problem using older backup versions of some plug-ins and are monitoring current updates for fixes.
week of 02.05.18
- Continue review of site for ADA. Currently at 72.9 points on SiteImprove index. Up from 64.5 a month ago (industry benchmark at 68.1).
- Discovered conflicting plug-ins back in December. We had hoped subsequent versions of the plug-ins will work itself out and play nice together but that never happened. Decision made a couple weeks back to try to remove an older plugin associated with page layout. But would require conversion of the pages into the new plugin module. We converted about 85% of the pages at this point in time.
- New Program pages will attempt at doing away with Toolboxes.
- Link colors on the main site changed to blue and are now visually underlined as recommended by Section 508.
- Working on fixing Non-Credit program pages; ongoing
- Working on importing Koa Gallery site over to main site; then removing the 3rd party Koa Art Gallery site; ongoing
week of 11.13.17
- Received acknowledgement to retire the satellite FYE website. All content now searchable and updated on the main website. (FYE; NSO; Lunalilo Scholars)
week 10.23.17 – 10.27.17
- Request received to retire BLT and Highschool external sites because information was extremely outdated; all current academic information to be monitored and maintained on the main site.
- Ongoing effort to improve the site using Site Improve tool we secured over the Summer; we’ve improved our “Quality” index to 94.4 (education industry benchmark average 79.2) by fixing many spelling and broken links across our site; but work still needs to be done to improve our “Accessibility” index which is at 64.5 (education benchmark suggests average should be 66.4)
- Begun work on Academic Affairs page presence on the main site. Content received.
week 10.16.17 – 10.20.17
- Began push for Spring registration efforts a couple weeks ago; begun with efforts on behalf of Student Affairs and Marketing – directing students to counselors and new classes listed; later efforts on behalf of distance learning.
- Made use of homepage “blurbs” for Distance Learning; original plans for these 3 blurbs was to occasionally rotate content through these areas for issues that needed a little bit of a longer run than is traditionally afforded by the slides. Tracking results for Distance Learning. Plan is to remove DL slide mid-Nov along with the Marketing slides.
- Presented to LLL dept on how to edit bios. Made offer to dept to help with copywriting if desired.
- Fixed: Minor color alterations were made to mobile “hamburger” slide menu and footer main menu to align better with WCAG ADA standards; we may reverse these changes as they don’t appear to be noticeably improving our score while at the expense of some design options that make things clearer. We’re holding off for a little while.
- Added FAQ to Admissions; process initiated via Dr Brenda and marketing
week 05.08.17 – 05.12.17
- Major overhaul to Registration information
- Clarification of Residency information; site formally had 4 different pages for residency information. We killed all 4 pages and worked with KISC to combine into 1
week 04.24.17 – 04.28.17
- Textbook 0 courses given automated process: https://www.kapiolani.hawaii.edu/academics/textbook-zero/; intend to do the same treatment for WI and S-Designation courses but we would need to plan with stakeholders to make the flags consistent.
- STAR information updated with new instructions.
week 01.11.16 – 01.15.16
- Site search completely replaced by Open Search Server; enhanced performance & more accuracy in searches. PDF content is now also included in search results. Future plans include having searches work across all websites under the KCC-subdomain.
- Reverted: request taken to revert Fall 2016 calendar back to 2015 given that it was a leap-year and the dates become inaccurate. Waiting for word from KISC
week 12.14.15 – 12.18.15
- Page titles and breadcrumb function bug fixed.
week 12.07.15 – 12.11.15
- Entire site moved onto permanent server hosted at UH ITS Manoa campus. TOOK server. Should be the last intended move for the site intended to improve performance, security, and reliability.
- Authentication for website management changed to CAS.
week 11.02.15 – 11.06.15
- Bug: Page titles and nav breadcrumbs are getting appended together. The site functions normally otherwise. Ongoing search for solution to this issue.
week 09.21.15 – 09.25.15
- Academic calendar now set to automatically swap out to new semester dates. It is set to switch over on Boxing Day and Memorial Day. The new semester must be entered before these dates or it will cause unpredictable behaviour.
- Maintenance: requested removal of “cool places” section on the homepage
- Maintenance: Admin staff page made live. Static version. We have a upcoming feature populating staff & faculty lists automatically from the UH database pending approval to make it live.
week 08.31.15 – 09.04.15
- Maintenance: All program pages have been adjusted with new layouts with the intention of making them clearer to see. Descriptions of all degrees & certs now included verbatim from the Catalog.
- Maintenance: OCET section now split into disciplines; data for courses now being pulled directly from Destiny’s API; ongoing performance issues are being addressed by 3rd party responsible to work on Destiny.
week 08.24.15 – 08.28.15
- Maintenance: Security enhancements and bug fixes
- Footer modifications
- Ongoing maintenance: tweaking for Program page layout to make it cleaner.
- Ongoing modification: enhancement to OCET pages; ongoing issues needing to be resolved with Destiny.
- New Feature: Release of campus mobile app – integration of both the campus directory and calendars to pull from the same sources across the website and the app.
week 07.13.15 – 07.17.15
- Main website migrated to UH ITS for hosting. Improved performance and stability expected.
- New Feature: All academic calendar information now pulling from a GCal data source. This should open up the ability for KISC stakeholders to manage the dates directly.
week 05.18.15 – 05.22.15
- Maintenance: Program accreditation information all up-to-date and reposted in a friendlier fashion.
- Maintenance: Added giving opportunities “UH Foundation”
week 04.20.15 – 04.24.15
- Many masthead photos replaced on Academic Program pages. Thanks to OCCR dept for contributing photography.
- Updates and patches to theme and platform. Security enhancements.
- Removed unused social media platforms by request (LinkedIn, Pinterest)
- New Backend Feature: Academic Calendar and Holiday Calendar now managed dynamically. Will allow for future management across multiple platforms (campus displays, campus app, website)
week 03.30.15 – 4.3.15
- Darkened link color on ʻOhana
- Added auto-complete to directory search
week 03.23.15 – 03.27.15
- Maintenance: fine tuned aesthetic concerns on homepage; overall white space reduction on all views and alignment of elements. Menu hover elements introduced.
- Alteration: Service icons are now active links (e.g. service directory, academic calendar, academics) on the homepage
- New backend feature: Service Directory page now maintained via dynamic database information. Intention to have this information pull consistently across the website and any campus apps.
- Alteration: Footer content and search now appropriately displayed in mobile vertical view.
- Significant speed improvements to directory search
week 03.16.15 – 03.20.15
- Migrated remaining sites from web07 to web11 to improve performance.
week 03.09.15 – 03.13.15
- Maintenance: update of all Academic calendars for both Fall and Summer 2015
week 03.02.15 – 03.06.15
- Maintenance: removal of 50th UHCC slide by request
week 02.17.15 – 02.20.15
- Alteration: Created a redundant sub-tab “How to Apply” under “Admissions” as a means to catch those who misinterpret the top menu tabs. Added flags to each link so we can track what is more effective.
- Maintenance: “Emergency Procedures” page repurposed as “Campus Safety and Emergency Management” with intentions of adding additional security department content.
week 02.09.15 – 02.13.15
- Fixed: Tabbed content across pages can now be printed. Previously only the active window would print. This should be addressed now and we’re testing conditions.
- Maintenance: Admissions section(s) updated by request of KISC. Should be clearer and more standardized across most sections.
- Maintenance: Graduation information up-to-date
week 01.26.15 – 01.30.15
- Status: Server hardware failure across website(s). Site was brought back up around 6pm 01.16.15
- Maintenance: Admissions overhaul (First Time College student info pages)
- Maintenance: Health Clearance information updated
week 01.20.15 – 01.23.15
- Maintenance: Removed do-it-now slide from homepage
- Maintenance: Removed Flikr account icon from footer (wasn’t being used)
- Revision: Non-credit programs listed on Academic Programs page separated into 2nd column.
week 01.12.15 – 01.16.15
- Current status of website as of 1/13/15
- Recently modified: OCET satellite site no longer available. All traffic directed to the live Destiny directory on our site.
- Recently modified: Final exam schedule chart and CRN lookup updated for Spring 2015
- Recently modified: 2015 Holidays posted
- modified: counselor directory updated Spring 2015
- modified: added Mammography non-credit programs to the list.