The Grants Office (formerly, the Shared Services Center) is the one-stop office that supports innovations across the campus through extramural programs – grants, contracts, and awards. For nearly two decades, Kapiʻolani Community College was among the top revenue generators for extramural funding through federal grants from the U.S. Department of Education and National Science Foundation. The Center was founded to offer comprehensive support services to enhance capacity to apply for and manage extramural funding.
Additional information regarding Title III Part A and F campus developmental and renovation projects are available on the Title III website.
ʻŌhiʻa Bldg, Room 103B
We’re located across the Bookstore’s temporary location and down the hall from the Office for Institutional Effectiveness.
We are available to support you. To request a consultation with one of our grant specialists, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pre-Award / Proposal Development support
For federal sponsors, contact Brandon Marc Higa, email@example.com, ext. 9776
For state contracts, contact Vice Chancellor for Administrative Services for initial review; extramural awards may be submitted for budget review and internal routing to the UH Office of Research Services by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
For private/foundation sponsors, contact Brandon Marc Higa, email@example.com, ext. 9776
- Assistance with proposal development, identifying funding opportunities, and submissions;
- Proposal preparation in Grants.gov, Fastlane, myGRANT;
- Budget development for proposal submissions; and,
- Communication with external stakeholders, including ORS and UH Foundation.
Post-Award / Grants Management & Fiscal support
Effective October 1, 2020, fiscal administration of extramural projects (grants, contracts, and awards) were transitioned to the Business Office.
For fiscal review and approval, contact Justin Kashiwaeda, fiscal administrator, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Establishing project accounts and advance accounts in Kuali for new and continuing awards;
- Fiscal review of procurement, travel, personnel payments, and project expenditures;
- Purchase Card administration
- Access to Kuali Financial System, RCUH, myGRANT
- Monthly budget reports every last Wednesday; and,
- Monthly Talk Story sessions with training every second Thursday.
For personnel recruitment, contact Brandon Marc Higa, email@example.com, ext. 9776
For procurement related inquiries, contact Martin Holzgang, firstname.lastname@example.org, ext. 9780
- Personnel recruitment through RCUH;
- Project spending plans;
- Procurement-related consultations;
- Referrals to Office for Institutional Effectiveness for project evaluation and assessment;
- Award modifications, including change of PI, no cost extensions, supplemental funds request
Brandon Marc Higa
Phone: (808) 734-9776
Stanford J. Fichtman
Phone: (808) 734-9607
Phone: (808) 734-9780
Phone: (808) 734-9781