2017 Aloha United Way CampaignSeptember 18 - October 16, 2017
Each year the University of Hawai‘i ‘ohana comes together to support the Aloha United Way’s (AUW) mission of bettering the lives within our community.
The University of Hawai‘i is proud to continue its support of AUW through a tradition of generous contributions from faculty and staff that enable AUW to continue its partnership with numerous non-profit organizations. The University aims to raise $305,000 for the 2017 campaign, making an important investment in our community to make it safer, healthier and more productive for families throughout our neighborhoods.
The 2017 O‘ahu AUW campaign kicks off on September 18, 2017, with donations being accepted at that time via e-Pledge or paper pledge forms. Instructions on how UH faculty and staff can make a monetary contribution to the Aloha United Way are available here.
2017 Oahu Aloha United Way co-chairs
- Stephanie Kim (UH System Co-Chair)
- Susan Kazama (UH Community College Co-Chair)
- Aloysius Helminick (UH Manoa Co-Chair)
- Leila Shimokawa (UH West Oahu Co-Chair)
Kapi‘olani Community College co-chairs
- Louise Pagotto is Penny Wars chair (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Veronica Ogata, Dan Swift and Kristi Ueda are Chili Cook Off chairs (email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com)
- Linda Katsuda in HR will be coordinating the pledge drive (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Louise Yamamoto will manage communications and is the Twice as Nice chair (email@example.com)
- Sally Yamaguchi will coordinate the Mini Craft Fair (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Noeau Keopuhiwa is Team Leader for the Obstacle Course race on 9/29 (email@example.com)
- Raphael Lowe is Web Master (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Susan Kazama is lead chair (email@example.com)
Percentage Towards Our Goal
Participation out of 414 employees
- ADMINISTRATION + OFIE + HIC 32.00%
- ARTS & HUMANITIES 7.69%
- AUX SERVICES + SECURITY 9.76%
- BLT 17.65%
- BUSINESS OFFICE + HR 30.43%
- CELTT 12.50%
- CULINARY 100.0%
- EMS 7.14%
- HEALTH SCIENCES 12.50%
- HOST 25.00%
- KISC 11.11%
- LLL 2.44%
- LLR 6.67%
- MAIDA KAMBER CENTER 14.29%
- MATH / SCIENCES 5.71%
- NURSING 2.86%
- OCCE 75.00%
- SOCIAL SCIENCES 8.33%
- STUDENT AFFAIRS 6.25%
Ways to Participate
KCC Chili Cook-Off
CALLING ALL CHILI LOVERS!
October 16 at 220 Grille from 11:00 am – 1:00 pm
- Admission is $5.00 at the door, and includes a taste-testing of all entries, and side orders of rice and potato/mac salad.
- Bring your dollar bills & vote for your favorite chili. Each $1.00 equals 1 vote. The chili with the most dollars collected WINS!
- We will also recognize winners in individual categories such as “Most Unique”, “Spiciest”, “Most Creative” etc.
Twice As Nice
October 16 at ‘Ōhi‘a Cafeteria from 11:00am – 2:00pm
We are receiving gently used items to sell at our “Twice As Nice” sale. All proceeds will benefit Aloha United Way or one of its non-profit partners, We will be soliciting “gently used” items, baked goods, homemade arts & crafts, preserves etc. Historically, costume jewelry, scarves, ceramic goods, kitchenware, board games and coffee table items do rather well. No clothing please.
During the same time, we will also have a Silent Auction on items up for bid! Last year, we offered 2 Reserved Parking stalls, one for Spring 2017 and one for Fall 2017. We are doing so again, for Spring 2018 and Fall 2018. Someone also pledged a “Princess of Wales” parakeet, a rare and colorful bird. Price of such a delightful bird goes as high as $1,000. And we have beautiful vases to auction.
You may drop donations off at the Office of College Relations, ‘Ilima 203. Contact Louise Yamamoto for more information.
Collect pennies and your team piles on the positive points. Donate nickels, dimes, quarters & dollar bills, and the other teams cash out with negative points! One winning team will emerge victorious but all proceeds go to Aloha United Way! Penny War will be waged October 2-13
Stay tuned for more information.
Pledge online to show your support. You can also obtain paper pledge forms from Linda Katsuda in HR. You can find helpful instructions (PDF) on how to donate. All proceeds to benefit Aloha United Way.
The Chancellor will award two trophies and host the winners at a “Mahalo” reception:
- one trophy for the department/unit with the highest percentage of people making donations
- one trophy for the unit/department with the most people making donations.
Keep visiting our AUW site to see how close we are to reaching our 100% goal.